[Hackaday Official]Thomas's game

Keep a log of a project build here. Be sure to include pictures and as much documentation as possible.

Re: [Hackaday Official]Thomas's game

Postby Osgeld » February 12th, 2013, 7:30 pm

caleb wrote:Osgeld,
let me know how you can help! Of course I would love input from anyone, but you know you hold a special place in my heart (the only person to be un-banned!)

well you seem to have the mechanics of it down (though I do have access to a manually operated mill that can slice steel, I have not gotten all that good with it yet) but I can make up boards, have access to real reflow ovens, a good EDA that I am fast at (altium designer), + I can dead bug a 603 to a sot23 with nothing holding them but friction with a chisel tip hakko, I have seen your "soldering" :lol:
Osgeld

Postby caleb » February 12th, 2013, 7:41 pm

Osgeld wrote: I have seen your "soldering" :lol:

true. Maybe I'll have you make something nice.
caleb

Postby Smolder » February 12th, 2013, 8:35 pm

In college I worked on a keyboard model that folded in half, it looked very simiiliar to what you are doing. It would be great if you could get a video of the kid using his ps3 control to get an idea of his mobility. Can he hold the control, is it too heavy? Does he work the joystick with his thumb, or with his hand? I'm also curious as to how many easy access buttons would be ideal. What is it, two thumb sticks, four trigger buttons, and four little circle buttons?

I personally like your design with the hand laying vertical instead of horizontal. A person's hands are not designed to lay flat comfortably, disability or not.

One of the things we would do in school was take insulation foam and carve it with hand files to create quick physical prototypes. It really was a fantastic tool for feeling the ergonomics out. Here is a picture of the prototype (that I never finished,) it was hinged so that it could be used flat or vertically.

PS: That Cyborg RAT7 looks like batman's car.
Smolder

Postby Arrangemonk » February 13th, 2013, 2:27 am

id use one of the old huge and ergonomic 3 button trackballs as base, replace the ball with a thumbstick,
and use the 3 buttons binary encoded for more actions -> 3 buttons would give 7 virtual buttons, and 4 give 15,
but a 4 finger setup should still only use the the 3 useful fingers (the pinky is petty mucb useless for gaming, even for a healthy person) then attaching the frankentrackball to the base on some sort of slider (like the analog stick on the psp) should do the trick for the second analog stick
Arrangemonk

Postby minusthetiger » February 13th, 2013, 7:56 am

I'd like to help wherever possible, as I was born with one hand and do play video games (Xbox 360 mostly). If you'd like any perspective or assistance, let me know and I'd be glad to help.
minusthetiger

Postby caleb » February 13th, 2013, 8:11 am

minusthetiger wrote:I'd like to help wherever possible, as I was born with one hand and do play video games (Xbox 360 mostly). If you'd like any perspective or assistance, let me know and I'd be glad to help.

This version will not be one-hand friendly. I am very interested in tackling that next though!
caleb

Postby ErikGardner » February 13th, 2013, 10:14 am

Not that it applies directly here, but have you given any thought to controllers using something other than hands? My brother drives his chair with a joystick mounted right in front of his mouth so that it's controlled by his lips. It's amazing the precision and control that he has with this stick. I tried it once and drove the chair straight into the wall and broke my toe.

The joystick is nothing more that a standard PS3 analog stick mounted on an aluminum pole. It's limited to those directional controls, but something to keep in mind.
ErikGardner

Postby madhaha » February 13th, 2013, 10:50 am

I'm in the middle of a controller build at the moment (lasercut parts just arrived and test fit perfectly!) I highly recommend you look into the arcade and fighting game community sites since they have a wealth of experience on making custom game hardware. Some bits and pieces you might find useful:

Xbox 360 compatibility is a major pain unless you're padhacking (adapting official controller pcbs to custom hardware) because there is a security chip which authenticates official controllers to the system to prevent clone controllers being manufactured. There are a small handful of companies that have worked around it but the upshot is it's not cheap. The most highly recommended encoder is the community developed PS360+ from Akishop. Otherwise you're pretty much limited to disassembling commercial controllers such as the Joytron Paewang Revolution or the Qanba Q4RAF. My current build adapts the Q4RAF. Alternatively, Toodles has created a number of PCBs that "piggyback" an official 360 controller to enable compatibility. This one is based around a PIC microcontroller, designed to be cheap and easy to assemble and works wide variety of consoles including the old sega ones: Universal PCB.

This is an interview with Mark Begum a.k.a. Broly who has very limited use of his hands. He plays competitively using a standard controller, operating it with his mouth.
[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83nSodg-HTU[/YouTube]

Headtracking for the 360

Xtendplay ergonomic adapter for game controllers is basically a giant sleeve that makes controllers more comfortable to hold

N-Control avenger adds a bunch of levers that allow you to trigger buttons/triggers by nudging against a bar. Also pre-applies pressure so the buttons act like they're hair trigger.
madhaha

Postby caleb » February 13th, 2013, 12:06 pm

great info! I was actually planing on making the initial one a pad-hack. After that though, probably custom internals and pc only.
caleb

Postby timrc » February 13th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Great project!

Have you seen this eye tracker:
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/development/

It's basically a ring of IR emitters and recievers mounted on glasses,
which uses the eye as a shaped reflector to read direction.
Super cheap way to get (relative) eye-tracking, and you could
use winks as buttons (blinking usually closes both eyes simultaneously).

Might get you to one-hand friendly faster.

Cheers!
timrc

PreviousNext

Return to Project Logs