Glass harp controlled by OSC

Keep a log of a project build here. Be sure to include pictures and as much documentation as possible.

Glass harp controlled by OSC

Postby igor_b » August 13th, 2012, 12:33 pm

hi everyone!

this is my first project to present on hackaday forum. it is pretty simple and useless but it's fun :)

i have built a glass harp (the thing when you slide wet finger on the egde of the wine glass and it makes sound) that is automatic and also the pitch of the sound can be changed.

video of the finished project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUNuTgNU-3c

spinning stand is made mostly from old printer parts and a disk from hard drive. motor is slowed down with simple ne555 pwm circuit. 'finger replacement' is made from piece of wet cotton.

the pitch can be changed by changing the water level inside glass. i did this by submerging water filled ballon in it. balloon height is changed by small servo motor driven by teensy board. servo position can be changed by sending OSC (open sound control) message from my phone (by wifi) to the laptop which then sends command to the teensy board by serial.
igor_b

Re: Glass harp controlled by OSC

Postby xaero » August 13th, 2012, 2:44 pm

That displacement trick is interesting. I wonder if you'd get different sounds by changing how full the balloon is. Obviously you'd get more or less displacement and thus a varied chromatic range, but would it change the timbre?
xaero

Postby igor_b » August 13th, 2012, 3:38 pm

xaero wrote:That displacement trick is interesting. I wonder if you'd get different sounds by changing how full the balloon is. Obviously you'd get more or less displacement and thus a varied chromatic range, but would it change the timbre?

yes, it does change a timbre a little bit - sound is more dull and a little quieter when balloon is inside. but that was much easier to implement than to change water level with some sort of pump (which was the first idea). also, from my experiments, balloon with water gives best results (minimal timbre change). btw other things i tried were plum and peach :). i didn't try to replace balloon with maybe plastic ball.
igor_b

Postby UAirLtd » August 14th, 2012, 1:17 pm

This reminds me of something - I was messing around with blowing into beer bottles, and what I did to vary the tone was to drop a tube into a second bottle filled with water, once the tube was filled with water, I could raise or lower the tone of the beer bottle by raising or lowering that second bottle, the water would flow to maintain level in both bottles.

Presumably you could do exactly the same with only minor alterations to your design - a second glass with a balloon in it could be used to fill or empty the first glass through a tube which would disrupt the sound a lot less.
UAirLtd

Postby caleb » August 14th, 2012, 4:04 pm

caleb

Postby igor_b » August 15th, 2012, 3:36 am

UAirLtd wrote:This reminds me of something - I was messing around with blowing into beer bottles, and what I did to vary the tone was to drop a tube into a second bottle filled with water, once the tube was filled with water, I could raise or lower the tone of the beer bottle by raising or lowering that second bottle, the water would flow to maintain level in both bottles.

Presumably you could do exactly the same with only minor alterations to your design - a second glass with a balloon in it could be used to fill or empty the first glass through a tube which would disrupt the sound a lot less.

that's a very good idea. that way i can also get greater pitch range - i can use bigger glass or bowl outside that will completely fill or empty spinning glass. i'll try that.

one other problem is with spinning.. when glass is filled with water it is heavier and motor needs more power to spin it (whole spinning system is kinda sucky right now :)) - gears with greater transmission ratio would be much better option for smoother motion.
igor_b

Postby igor_b » August 15th, 2012, 3:37 am

admin wrote:http://hackaday.com/2012/08/14/servo-controlled-wine-glass-plays-the-music-of-the-angels/

wow! thanks! :D
igor_b

Postby KillerBug » September 14th, 2012, 9:33 am

You might also want to consider a flywheel...servos are great and all, but even today the best record players (other than DJ scratching gear) use heavy flywheels to make sure that the disk turns at a consistent rate (powered by servos of course).
KillerBug

Postby igor_b » September 14th, 2012, 11:57 am

KillerBug wrote:You might also want to consider a flywheel...servos are great and all, but even today the best record players (other than DJ scratching gear) use heavy flywheels to make sure that the disk turns at a consistent rate (powered by servos of course).

thanks for idea! this all was just a quick hack. new version (if i ever build it :)) will definitely have some sort of flywheel (current spinning board is also very unstable), calibrated sound and maybe better way to control the water level.
igor_b

Postby grandnany88 » March 18th, 2013, 11:48 pm

xaero wrote:That displacement trick is interesting. I wonder if you'd get different sounds by changing how full the balloon is. Obviously you'd get more or less displacement and thus a varied chromatic range, but would it change the timbre?

hmm this is a very much nice info thanks for sharing such a really very much nice info dude. :ugeek:
grandnany88

Next

Return to Project Logs