DTF104 display tubes

Keep a log of a project build here. Be sure to include pictures and as much documentation as possible.

DTF104 display tubes

Postby AnubisTTP » January 30th, 2011, 8:57 am

I made this clock using some LED's and an RCA DTF104 'filament display' tube, which works like a lightbulb with multiple filaments that can display numbers. Filament displays are a good if underused display for projects, as most will run on 5 volts and can be hooked directly to a microcontroller with no intermediate components. I got the tubes off of Ebay, they occasionally show up for sale there.

Project link: http://www.decadecounter.com/vta/articleview.php?item=1035

So, has anyone else built something interesting out of old display tubes? Everyone builds clocks (including me, apparently), but you hardly ever see non-clock projects using these tubes.
AnubisTTP

Re: DTF104 display tubes

Postby AndyHope » January 30th, 2011, 9:52 am

cool project,

i picked up a bunch of Nixie tubes off of ebay a while ago and the driver chips to go with them.

I've had them for about 2 years now and I had a driver board PCB built at school but i haven't found a good schematic for a power supply yet. The plan is to build a clock, but it seems to be one of the projects that gets put on the backburner all the time.

I will definitely post pictures if i get my act together...

while we're on the subject does anyone have a good Nixie Power supply schematic? I need about 170V for the tubes and they'll draw about 2mA each one lit; I'm planning on using 4 for the clock.
AndyHope

Postby AnubisTTP » January 30th, 2011, 6:50 pm

AndyHope wrote:while we're on the subject does anyone have a good Nixie Power supply schematic? I need about 170V for the tubes and they'll draw about 2mA each one lit; I'm planning on using 4 for the clock.

Here is a schematic for a Nixie power supply that uses a 555 timer as it's main IC, I have used similar circuits in the past and they work well.

http://www.turbokeu.com/myprojects/nixi ... %20psu.gif

A lot of people now just buy a prebuilt supply as they have become cheap and readily available. There are a bunch of them on Ebay at any given moment, they only cost about 15 bucks shipped, just do a search for "nixie power supply"
AnubisTTP

Postby AndyHope » January 30th, 2011, 10:13 pm

AnubisTTP wrote:
AndyHope wrote:while we're on the subject does anyone have a good Nixie Power supply schematic? I need about 170V for the tubes and they'll draw about 2mA each one lit; I'm planning on using 4 for the clock.

Here is a schematic for a Nixie power supply that uses a 555 timer as it's main IC, I have used similar circuits in the past and they work well.

http://www.turbokeu.com/myprojects/nixi ... %20psu.gif

A lot of people now just buy a prebuilt supply as they have become cheap and readily available. There are a bunch of them on Ebay at any given moment, they only cost about 15 bucks shipped, just do a search for "nixie power supply"

cool, thanks a bunch
AndyHope

Return to Project Logs