[Hackaday Official]Thomas's game

Keep a log of a project build here. Be sure to include pictures and as much documentation as possible.

Re: [Hackaday Official]Thomas's game

Postby caleb » February 14th, 2013, 7:25 am

WOW. the owl is cool. I wish there was more technical info/ software or something. This would be fantastic for the oculus rift!
caleb

Postby caleb » February 19th, 2013, 9:31 am

I finally sat down this weekend and started actually planning specific hardware. What I found was that if I bought all custom buttons and joysticks, the price quickly exceeded the cost of a standard controller (especially when you take used controllers into account). My thoughts are that yes, a completely custom controller would be optimal, but I could quickly make some attachments for a standard controller that would make a lot of people happy.

So, I'll start there. I'm designing modules that can be added to the controller to change your hand orientation. These could possibly be used without any modification to the controller itself, though I'll probably relocate/replace some buttons to make things easier for Thomas. I will probably also cut the controller in half to make it easier for each hand to be in its own comfortable place.
caleb

Postby caleb » February 19th, 2013, 12:22 pm

top_view.jpg

angle.jpg

Here you can see the basic idea to the first attachment. This allows you to strap the controller to your arm and position it at whatever angle is most comfortable for you.

photo.JPG

Here you can see where I'm refining the curve of the piece that actually attaches to the controller. I want it to be a fairly contoured fit.
caleb

Postby caleb » February 19th, 2013, 2:34 pm

A quick print out shows that the idea has merit. It seems moderately functional (once you attached it to a controller.

The rotation angles need tweeked though. as you turn it, the arm brace needs to change to a different angle.
The arm brace also needs to be longer and have strap holes for velcro.

photo(42).JPG
caleb

Postby bendansie » February 26th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Hi there!

I'll have to read the thread in a bit more detail, but a quick message to say I'd love to help if I can. 3D modelling is my day job and I have some 3d printing experience. I've got a 3d printer on order for home that should be here in a few weeks, but have access to a Fab Lab to test things in the mean time.

Awesome project idea, hopefully I can pitch in somehow.

Cheers,
Ben.
bendansie

Postby caleb » February 26th, 2013, 7:45 pm

ZRiIpGN.jpg

As you can see, I'm jumping all over the place. I've been talking to people on the ablegamers.com forum and it seems there is quite a need for game specific hardware for people with disabilities. Here are a simple d-pad and 4 button combo I tossed together today. These would have velcro on the back and could be placed wherever it would be convenient.

This version uses 6mm momentary siwtches which require a little over 100 grams to depress. I need to design another version with levers inside to reduce this down to below 30grams required as this is a common problem.

Here's a version of a low effort switch (less than 30 grams required to depress) . The cost,$77, is shocking to me. I've actually already designed and printed my own version of this that works well for virtually nothing in comparison.

Here's mine. It obviously needs a stronger hinge.
yRrTAwNs.jpg
yRrTAwNs.jpg (7.01 KiB) Viewed 739 times

5aVNt4kh.jpg
caleb

Postby Osgeld » February 27th, 2013, 12:59 am

might want to make that an 8 way circular pad, its not the mid 80's anymore ;)

I got a whole box of switches (of the same type) I will stick them on the force guage in the morning to see how much they require

though I have a feeling they are more than required
Osgeld

Postby caleb » February 27th, 2013, 9:24 am

It isn't super exact, but I put them on a scale and zeroed it, then slowly pushed and watched for the number when they depressed. On their own I was getting 100-110 grams of pressure. With the lever, I was getting roughly 30.

I really like these switches for this because they are DIRT CHEAP. So I plan on just doing some creative levers to get the force required down.

Also, the current gen Xbox controllers have a 4 way dpad osgeld! I have a few analog sticks on the way too, so don't worry.
caleb

Postby Osgeld » February 28th, 2013, 7:18 pm

but its still circular so you can hit all 8 directions, vs what you have modeled which is more like an NES pad

ps the buttons I have require 3(ish) newtons to depress (about 300 Gram-Force)
Osgeld

Postby caleb » March 1st, 2013, 1:55 pm

They've got you fooled with the circular look of it. The internals are actually almost identical to the old nes pads.

pad.jpg

The off-brand ones like madcatz don't even bother making it look round. The one I'm using isn't round (gamestop branded madcatz)

dpad.jpg
caleb

Previous

Return to Project Logs