[Hackaday official] star wars battle R/C hack

Keep a log of a project build here. Be sure to include pictures and as much documentation as possible.

Re: [Hackaday official] star wars battle R/C hack

Postby caleb » January 31st, 2013, 9:25 pm

They won't be flying, they'll be driving. I was considering doing flying versions(I've seen plenty of flying x-wings), however I thought no one but experienced pilots would be able to battle with them. This way isn't quite as awesome, but my kids can play with it and have fun!

p.s. good eye!
caleb

Postby MS3FGX » February 1st, 2013, 3:14 pm

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Will definitely be a lot easier to pick up and play with.

Though, a TIE counterpart to the Millennium Falcon quadcopter would certainly be interesting...
MS3FGX

Postby caleb » February 11th, 2013, 1:09 pm

I printed a couple release mechanisms just to see how they would work. This was actually before I got my settings fixed for precise parts, so they didn't fit together perfectly. They did let me know what works and what doesn't though.

photo(34).JPG
(692.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet

The notch in the "sleeve" was to hold a rubber band, since I didn't have any springs handy. I found that if I put enough resistence on it from the rubber band to make it actually shoot out when released, the little ledge didn't hold. I need to adjust the design a little bit to give it a better grab on the end of the sleeve.
Attachments
photo(34).JPG
(692.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
caleb

Postby caleb » February 11th, 2013, 1:14 pm

The Femtoduinos came in today. They're so freaking tiny.
photo(31).JPG
(579.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet

they're so freaking tiny!

photo(30).JPG
(564.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet

I will have no problem at all making this sucker fit down inside the R/C body.

photo(32).JPG
(689.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet

I also ordered some micro servos from adafruit today. I'm thinking I'll do 2 ships per frame.

stacked.jpg
(133.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
caleb

Postby caleb » February 14th, 2013, 12:34 pm

Ordered another x-wing, so I can have two on the chasis. I also ordered a tie fighter, but not vaders. What arrived was not the same scale. All of these are revell, snap together, star wars models, but it looks like the scale for all 3 is different. There may be a more appropriate one, but my budget is exhausted, so I am just going to use the big single tie fighter with two smaller X-wings. In the context of the video, this will work, since these are going to be toys for storm troopers (of course theirs is bigger!). It is going to drive me insane though. oh well. :roll:

photo(39).JPG
caleb

Postby caleb » February 14th, 2013, 12:36 pm

I've gotten ahold of a local group of storm troopers. They're excited to shoot a video. I think the theme will be something like "storm trooper picnic". There will be horseshoes (vader cheating?), a giant inflatable deathstar, battling r/c cars in the parking lot, etc. Still working out the plans.

I'll add this to the initial post too, for those coming late to the party.
caleb

Previous

Return to Project Logs