[Hackaday official] star wars battle R/C hack

Keep a log of a project build here. Be sure to include pictures and as much documentation as possible.

[Hackaday official] star wars battle R/C hack

Postby caleb » January 30th, 2013, 10:42 am

I'm going to start sharing projects for our upcoming videos as I create them. This is the first to go this route. You can join in to help make this project better. Keep in mind, my job is to make engaging videos/projects to help spread the word about hackaday. They may not always be the most complicated hacks.

Star Wars R/C battle

Goal:
The goal here is to have R/C tie figher vs R/C x-wing. I'll find an existing R/C battle solution and modify it to do what I want. Ideally I want the x-wing or tie fighter to fall apart when it has been shot enough.

Implementation:
1. I found these R/C battle quads. They use IR LEDs to simulate "shooting" at eachother. When they get shot 3 times they stop moving. They have 3 indicator LEDs. They begin lit and turn off, one by one, as they are hit. These appear to be perfect for this project. I just need to replace the bodies and add a circuit to eject the starwars parts when all 3 LEDs are turned off.
quads.jpg
(91.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet

2. I debated between using the original toys or getting models for the x-wing and tie fighter. Ultimately I ordered a couple snap together models from Revel. They're small er than I imagined, so I'm not sure if they'll work.

yep... way too small. I guess I'll have to try to find originals, but they're so HEAVY.
photo(2).JPG
ugh... waay too small.
photo(2).JPG (163.69 KiB) Viewed 4988 times

3. I need to create a spring loaded release mechanism and corresponding circuit. It only needs to release when all 3 LEDs are extinguished. Anyone got ideas for the spring and release mechanism?
I have had the following thoughts on the subject:
    a.insert a femtoduino/teensy and have it poll the final LED. Once it goes out it could turn a tiny servo to release the body.
    b.create an analog circuit (cheaper) to move a servo when the final LED goes out. Anyone have a good circuit?

edit -- video theme
I've gotten ahold of a local group of storm troopers. They're excited to shoot a video. I think the theme will be something like "storm trooper picnic". There will be horseshoes (vader cheating?), a giant inflatable deathstar, battling r/c cars in the parking lot, etc. Still working out the plans.
caleb

Re: [Hackaday official] star wars battle R/C hack

Postby 610bob » January 30th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Instead of a spring system, could you use an electromagnet. If you use a ferrous material for the core, then a magnet would be able to keep the parts together. When it is time to release the part, just send current in the electromagnet to create an opposing magnetic field. This may be a simpler method. It would probably be a good idea for the part to fit inside of a socket with this method. That way the parts won't just fly off if jostled.
610bob

Postby caleb » January 31st, 2013, 10:17 am

I thought about using a magnet, but didn't think I could make it work as solidly as a mechanical latch.

Here's what I've got in mind now
latch.jpg
latch.jpg (9.67 KiB) Viewed 4839 times
caleb

Postby szczys » January 31st, 2013, 10:24 am

I don't see how this works. I understand the latch and the spring, but how do you release it?
szczys
Site Admin

Postby caleb » January 31st, 2013, 10:26 am

servo pressing down on the tip. or solenoid.
caleb

Postby 610bob » January 31st, 2013, 11:16 am

Something like this?
Attachments
QuickRelease.jpg
QuickRelease.jpg (6.94 KiB) Viewed 4826 times
610bob

Postby caleb » January 31st, 2013, 12:19 pm

This is how I imagined it. This would also allow me to have multiple "barrels" per servo.
latch.gif
latch.gif (1.21 MiB) Viewed 4824 times
caleb

Postby 610bob » January 31st, 2013, 1:20 pm

Your design looks pretty good. I'm just wondering if it is overly complicated. Trying to get the servo aligned with multiple Barrels might be challenging. It also seems like it would take up allot of space. How many parts were you planing to discharge with this technique. If there are more than two per servo, it may appear cartoonish because the parts will discharge in a seequence. Although, you probably aren't trying to make it look authentic. :)
610bob

Postby caleb » January 31st, 2013, 1:22 pm

I'm thinking 1-2 parts. Maybe 3 at most.

imaine the x-wing loses R2, then the whole thing pops off.

I don't think servo positioning will be difficult. I think actually rigging the toy/model to be modular will be more difficult.
caleb

Postby MS3FGX » January 31st, 2013, 8:42 pm

So wait...are you talking about trying to convert the original plastic toys into free flying aircraft, or like some kind of control line flying, where the aircraft will be suspended by a cable and you can move it around with throttle/rudder?

Because I don't see how it's going to be possible to turn a toy TIE/X-Wing into something that is even remotely controllable in the air. They are too heavy and lack control surfaces, they would take an unreasonable amount of speed and power to just stay aloft. Even if you got it flying, no way they would be controllable enough do dogfight with.

It seems like you would be better off using the parts of the toys as templates to cut all new pieces out of some high impact foam. Even then, the finished aircraft will probably only bear a slight resemblance to their original toy forms once you get the GC and control issues sorted out.

P.S.
You put the wings on that little X-Wing model on backwards.
MS3FGX

Next

Return to Project Logs