Question About Extracting Settings from an IV Pump

Description of your first forum.

Question About Extracting Settings from an IV Pump

Postby beaner011 » March 2nd, 2017, 3:41 pm

Hey everybody,

I'm a veterinarian and am reasonably tech savvy, but no hacker by any means. I was wondering if I could get some general advice/guidance on an idea.

In human medicine, there are fancy (and very expensive) IV pumps that can connect up to a wireless network in order to communicate with an electronic medical record. I've been trying to figure out if it would be possible to make a cheap "wireless module" of sorts for a much less expensive veterinary IV pump. A pump like this...

https://www.heska.com/Products/IV-Pumps ... -Pump.aspx

I'd like to be able to somehow get the current settings for the pump (current rate, whether it's running or not, amount infused, etc.) and spit them out to a web server that could then be used to generate some sort of browser interface that would allow me to centrally/remotely monitor all the pumps currently in use in a clinic. These are not "smart" pumps at all, but I figure they at least have to spit out those settings to the LED display? What I'm wondering is if anyone has a general idea of how those settings might somehow be intercepted from the pump? Would it maybe be possible somehow with GPIO on a Pi?

Thanks in advance for the help!
beaner011

Re: Question About Extracting Settings from an IV Pump

Postby k-ww » March 3rd, 2017, 6:18 pm

It's an interesting project. One way is to interpose the Pi/etc between the buttons/display and whatever micro is inside the unit.
Until we evolve x-ray vision, the first thing that is needed is a photographic 'peek' inside the unit showing the circuit board, connections from the board to the buttons and display, etc. If a schematic is somewhere in the manual for the unit, that is also very important.
failing that, access to a unit for a day would be very useful. It can even be a dead/broken unit, just to be able to reverse engineer the circuitry.
k-ww

Re: Question About Extracting Settings from an IV Pump

Postby beaner011 » March 7th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. Have to see if can get ahold of one to play with and get some pictures.
beaner011

Return to General Talk