Replace guts of a Sip phone

Description of your first forum.

Replace guts of a Sip phone

Postby BlueCoder » April 17th, 2016, 9:17 pm

While I'm sure there are many great sip phones; none are readily firmware replaceable. Where are the IPv6 phones? There seems to be lots of hardware out there but software is crap. Be nice if I could custom sign my own software stack for whatever phone I wanted.

So my thinking is rather that reverse engineer a particular model of phone why not simply replace the guts. Looking at most sip office phones they seem like they would have more than enough room for whatever I wanted to do.

Other than generally liking the buttons and layout of any particular phone I think the secondary choice would be for a screen. I would need to either interface the existing screen (preferably). Or be able to replace it with a similar screen and then add a touch layer.

For the guts a raspberry pi paired with an attiny for dedicated audio processing.

Specific models of phones that come to mind are the grandstreams. Specifically the GXP2160, GXP2170 or the GXV3240.

One nice thing is that any phone I found on ebay wouldn't need to work. I would also be able to buy any cheap non branded asia phones. Any phones I have would then all essentially be the same platform which I could control. Maybe even create a dedicated hobbyboard for replacing the guts.

Anyone one else have a similar thought or seen a webpage for a similar concept?
BlueCoder

Re: Replace guts of a Sip phone

Postby ChristopherRickard » January 18th, 2017, 11:11 pm

Good explanation for sip phone. I am also thinking the same.
ChristopherRickard

Re: Replace guts of a Sip phone

Postby saara » July 22nd, 2017, 11:33 am

I was wondering how easy it would be to get a different linux kernel running on it?

Return to General Talk