Hack A Day editors

Description of your first forum.

Hack A Day editors

Postby Rhys » July 9th, 2014, 9:02 am

************* WARNING - This is a rant. I hate rants, and I almost never post them, but this has been irritating me for awhile and I just wanted to get it off my chest. No responses are necessary, and in all likelihood, I'll never return to this thread. **************

Just out of curiosity, has anyone at Hack A Day ever considered hiring a proof-reader for the site? Don't get me wrong, I hate being a grammar Nazi and I love your site! However, the frequency of spelling and grammatical errors make it frustratingly difficult for me to read some of your articles. I am constantly hitting sentences that I have to read three or four times to work out the meaning because of missing or misplaced words.

Just as an example - from the current first story on the site

"It took a little bit of inspiration, but when the idea of using the eye sensor to control everyone’s favorite 8-bit bird, everything fell into place."

"but when the idea of using the eye sensor to control everyone's favorite 8-bit bird" WHAT???? Do you expect your readers to read your mind or something? It makes the line jarring to read, as you mentally have to fill in the gap before it makes sense. The sentence below flows and reads much better and does not leave it to the reader to fill in the blank.

"It took a little bit of inspiration, but when the idea of using the eye sensor to control everyone's favorite 8-bit bird occurred to him, everything fell into place."

These kind of fill in the blank partial thought omissions are riddled through nearly every article I read on here. I can overlook the spelling and basic grammar errors without much trouble, it's just the way things are with websites. Even the editors at Ars Technica, which is owned by a large print/online publisher have basic spelling and grammar mistakes in most of their articles. However, this constant incomplete thought sort of thing is just frustrating.

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled program.......
Rhys

Re: Hack A Day editors

Postby TimSmith » August 16th, 2016, 6:32 am

Thanks for the announcement! Just wondering when are you planning to get back to your regularly scheduled program? I'm glad to see this thread available for commenting! Read more about http://royalediting.com/what-you-should-know-about-national-grammar-day, and create more interesting threads on controversial topics!
TimSmith

Postby luishill90 » December 20th, 2016, 8:12 am

Oh yeah, a lot of mistakes. It's like I reading an essay from PapersLead company. Thanks God there are various PapersLead reviews exist. Thus, people will know that this company is bad and won't buy anything from them.
luishill90

Postby pcbprototyping » August 2nd, 2017, 12:06 am

pcbprototyping

Return to General Talk