Welcome to the OFFICIAL Hackaday forums!

Description of your first forum.

Re: Welcome to the OFFICIAL Hackaday forums!

Postby foose12 » January 26th, 2011, 2:24 am

On a lighter note: Thanks for finally getting this forum up! I've been a reader since early 2007, and HAD gets all the credit for getting me interested in everything hardware.

To the writers: Thank you for keeping this site alive. Trying to keep the both the old-school hackers and Arduino newbies happy is a tough job, and in many ways, I don't envy that task. Just remember that (most) of us here love what you're doing. Sure, when you make that OBVIOUS typo, or post an article that is of questionable "hack"-ness, we'll jump on your back about it. It's just that we love this site as much as you do, and want it to become even greater as time goes on.

To the community: You guys are great. You're what really keep me coming back. With the addition of this forum, I'm hoping that the HAD community can grow into something even better than before. Don't forget that for growth to happen, this needs to be a place that is accessible to complete "newbies". You were one at some point too. If that means that they use an Arduino as a springboard for greater things, we shouldn't be (too) critical about it. Should every article be about the latest and greatest Arduino powered LED Blinker? Hell no. For the love of John Bardeen, no. But I believe there is room on HAD for truly interesting, unique hacks and projects, even if the route taken to complete them isn't always the most ideal/"hack"-ish. Please don't remember this post as an "ARDUINO ROOLS" or "SUCK IT ARDUINO-ERS" post. I just want to point out that the community here is what makes HAD great, let's continue to keep it that way.

Thank you HAD, keep serving us up some fresh new hacks.
foose12

Postby strider_mt2k » January 26th, 2011, 3:54 am

SUPER GOOD!

This is going to be GREAT folks.
Glad to see everyone!
strider_mt2k

Postby retswerb » January 26th, 2011, 9:04 am

Osgeld wrote:"Users can contact me by e-mail:" is set to yes on default

+1 for opt-in rather than opt-out on that front.
retswerb

Postby Hackius » January 26th, 2011, 9:17 am

This is awesome. HAD answers was a pain to use for community
Hackius

Postby AlanKilian » January 26th, 2011, 3:31 pm

I see that this is hackaday Forums and not hackaday.com but...

It would be nice to be able to talk with the hackaday.com editors about why a project doesn't get accepted, and how to change it so that it can get accepted.

Sending in "Submit a hack" text boxes to discuss things seems to be a black-hole.
AlanKilian

Postby calebkraft » January 26th, 2011, 3:40 pm

AlanKilian wrote:I see that this is hackaday Forums and not hackaday.com but...

It would be nice to be able to talk with the hackaday.com editors about why a project doesn't get accepted, and how to change it so that it can get accepted.

Sending in "Submit a hack" text boxes to discuss things seems to be a black-hole.

email us directly! or PM us. I'm caleb@
calebkraft

Postby svofski » January 27th, 2011, 2:50 am

calebkraft wrote:
AlanKilian wrote:I see that this is hackaday Forums and not hackaday.com but...

email us directly! or PM us. I'm caleb@

I appreciate the black theme, but quoted text is completely unreadable, it's like black on black. I would like some extra contrast there.
svofski

Postby vtl » January 27th, 2011, 9:21 am

Freaking brilliant! Saw the post and immediately registered. This will surely be a fantastic forum
vtl

Postby kiyoshigawa » January 27th, 2011, 9:29 am

Since this thread seems to be collecting assorted GUI criticism, I'd like to chime in that links are the exact same color/style as their surrounding text until you hover over them, so it may be worth changing the style a bit to make them stand out. Other than that and some coloring issues others have mentioned before me, the site seems to be looking good. I look forward to seeing it grow over the coming weeks.
kiyoshigawa

Postby madsci1016 » January 27th, 2011, 9:37 am

svofski wrote:
I appreciate the black theme, but quoted text is completely unreadable, it's like black on black. I would like some extra contrast there.

Seconded. This theme is very hard on the eyes / unreadable. Quoted text is unreadable, embedded links are no different from standard text. Posts don't have good dividers between them, for example I couldn't figure out if I had to use the "quote" button above or below the post.

Black/dark is bad web styling unless it's broken up with many other colors. HAD front page uses big colorful buttons and pictures to do that. This forum does not.
madsci1016

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk