Repurposing a PS3?

Description of your first forum.

Repurposing a PS3?

Postby SilentDragon » March 29th, 2012, 11:33 pm

Hello World!

New to the site and forums. I have recently handed over my business to a new owner and have found myself with time and a pile of random computers / parts / and electronics.

While my list of possible projects and experiments has gone difficult and lengthy, I am stuck looking at a PS3 that I would like to do something with.

Back story and information:
Model: CECHH01 - Manu Date: October 2007 - last update: unknown

Failed laser that was attempt DIY by someone who was not qualified, by the time it got to me the top had been pried open and most of the optical drive was damaged (broken wires, scotch tape, you get the idea). I have no desire to game with it and the thought of fixing yet another game system sickens me almost as much as working on another computer. I would like to see this game system suffer a slow burning agony of forced work in the furthest reaches of what it was originally designed to do (IE I don't just want to pack linux on it, I already have to many computers and parts as it is) The system boots up and appears to have no other issues, currently the PS3 has had the top and optical drive removed and tossed in a box. I would like to see what I can do with it as it is.

So open for discussion to all of you is the possibilities that might spill from this poor PS3's failed DIY fate.

MUAHAHAHA :twisted:
SilentDragon

Re: Repurposing a PS3?

Postby Colecago » March 30th, 2012, 6:34 am

Netflix player, network video player (using something like PlayOn), Downloadable games
Colecago

Postby SilentDragon » March 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm

Well in the end I have decided to sacrifice it in trade for other items I may be able to project down the road. ;)
SilentDragon

Postby leadacid » April 4th, 2012, 12:23 pm

I would say that would have been your best bet anyway. Re-purposing it is really dependent on being able to run alternate programs on it. Really, that would involve some variant of Linux (but Sony crippled that not allowing direct HW access) or running some approved but intensive app on it. Folding@Home would have been an option.

But its greatest value is that it is...a ps3. There isn't much value in it as a general purpose computer system.
leadacid

Return to General Talk