Computer Controlled Robot

Description of your first forum.

Computer Controlled Robot

Postby jeristair » February 16th, 2013, 5:00 am

Hello I have been recently working on a Computer Controlled Robot, everything is more or less working at the moment, But the problem is I have no idea what to do next, I am looking at making a basic object avoidance system, from detecting change in Light levels, from LDR's, but I am stuck at what to do next, I have some wireless modules to make the robot wireless, but I am still in the process of getting them to work.

The robot is controlled by a Picaxe 20X2 microcontroller, and is using an old Cybot as the base, because of the fairly powerful motors. I have written a Visual Basic program which runs on the Computer, The program just sends the keys pressed to the Picaxe. For more information about the robot I have posted about it here http://www.brightsparks.org.nz/the-forum/bb-our-main-discussion-forum-come-in-here/computer-controlled-robot-using-computer-picaxe-serial-link-2/

Currently there is no wireless link between the Computer and the Robot because when I try to use it, I either just get Nothing, or random characters. I am using 433 mHZ RF RX/TX modules.

If anyone has any Ideas as what I should do next, Please reply.
jeristair

Re: Computer Controlled Robot

Postby MartinsElectronics » February 16th, 2013, 6:03 am

what model number tx/rx are you using, i suspect you may just have an RF stage. radio is a funny thing, you need to have encoding on the data to make sure you get an even number of 0's and 1's (near even anyhow) otherwise the rx struggles to see the data you are sending above the noise.

there was a project based on open WRT and used a wireless router, camera and robot base to send data back and forth from a pc, however i cant find the link now

also check out www.robotbuilder.co.uk, nice bunch of guys there

regards
Al
MartinsElectronics

Postby jeristair » February 16th, 2013, 6:39 am

There is no model number on the modules, but if it helps there is this text:
Receiver:
RXB1 434MHZ REV.01

Sender:
RXC1 REV.01

I can upload photos of the modules if needbe. And when I got these modules I was told this was the program to use on the picaxes.

Receiver:
loopa:
serin 3, N2400, (”:01”), b1 ‘Receive one byte b1 after “:01” ID at 2400 baud
sertxd ( #b1, 13, 10) ‘Echo info b1 data back to the PC ( Press F8 select 4800 baud )
tune 0, 0, (b1) ‘Play a note = b1 in pitch on pin 2
goto loopa

Sender:
loopa:
readadc 1, b1 ‘Read adc thermistor voltage on pin 1into b1
serout 0, N2400, ( 85, 85, 85, “:01”, b1, 13, 10 ) ‘Send header + ID + b1 from pin 0
nap 6 ‘Short low power sleep
Goto loopa

I hope this helps with trying to find out whats happening
jeristair

Postby MartinsElectronics » February 17th, 2013, 12:04 pm

I dont know these modules off the top of my head but i would think they are just an RF stage.

So try first with a preamble, a couple of bytes of 101010 etc, still will help the AGC in the RX to balance itself (sent from the TX side obviously ) then deduct that from the RX side in your firmware so you get the data you are looking for.

Regards
Al
MartinsElectronics

Postby MartinsElectronics » February 17th, 2013, 12:20 pm

Oh my bad, sorry just read that TX code, its already got that in

in that case check aerials and make sure they are not too near to each other and make sure the modules have a clean power supply
MartinsElectronics

Postby jeristair » February 18th, 2013, 4:18 pm

That's ok, and thanks for trying to help, I have been told to get it working without the wireless modules, just use a wire link, then when that's working, go for a wireless link
jeristair

Postby wormsloe » April 26th, 2013, 1:17 am

wormsloe

Return to General Talk