New to electronics

Description of your first forum.

New to electronics

Postby FastEddie » January 27th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Im a mechanical engineer student at san diego state university, midway through my junior year. and I need to learn electronics. Here is where I would like to have your input! What kit would you consider for a new comer in the electronics? I know there are a few out there, i.e. radioshack or makershed, but which one would you suggest and why? and do you have any suggestion on books for beginners?

Thanks

Eddie
FastEddie

Re: New to electronics

Postby asheets » January 28th, 2013, 9:40 am

I'd start with a couple of books by Forrest Mims III. That's where I started, and that's where my kid started too.
asheets

Postby MS3FGX » January 28th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Mims books are definitely a good start, he has a very good style for beginners.
MS3FGX

Postby leadacid » January 30th, 2013, 12:01 pm

I really can't recommend Forrest's books enough.

http://www.amazon.com/Forrest-M.-Mims-I ... r_dp_pel_1

I still have (and sometimes reference) the books he wrote that I got at Radio Shack when I was 8. Tey are exceptionally good value.
leadacid

Postby FastEddie » February 4th, 2013, 11:25 pm

Thanks guys, but what about kits? anything that you would consider now that you have more knowledge on the subject?
FastEddie

Postby the_mick » February 16th, 2013, 5:41 pm

This reply might be a little late, but as an a&p student, I highly recommend the general aviation textbook. I believe chapter 10 will cover anything you may need an introduction to from basic electricity, dc, ac, complex circuits and troubleshooting. Then buy a nice adjustable temp soldering iron and one of those "silly" educational am/fm radio kits. It looks like an easy kit, but if you have never soldered, and you dont test and check each circuit as you go along it can get very frustrating. The book is available free on faa website: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/airc ... _handbook/
the_mick

Postby andre72 » March 31st, 2013, 5:07 am

In the link below you can find anything, from Omh's Law to digital circuits.
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/index.html
andre72

Postby asheets » April 1st, 2013, 9:28 am

FastEddie wrote:Thanks guys, but what about kits? anything that you would consider now that you have more knowledge on the subject?

Don't know what your skill level is, but I get kits from Electronic Goldmine for folks who need basic parts orientation and soldering practice...
asheets

Return to General Talk