SSH inception

Description of your first forum.

SSH inception

Postby teslas_moustache » December 28th, 2012, 3:28 pm

So I SSHed from my lappy to my PogoPlug to my Raspberry Pi. Just to see if I could do it. And it works.

I just don't know what to do with this information. Any ideas?

https://thingsihack.wordpress.com/2012/ ... ption-ssh/

Just to be clear: laptop -> PogoPlug -> Raspberry Pi
teslas_moustache

Re: SSH inception

Postby tamarok » December 28th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Not sure how useful either :D

One thing you could do is set up your either your RaspberryPi or Pogo as your gateway server (which ever consumes the least power) and then use it to connect to you network when you are away.

I set mine up Raspberry Pi as my webserver, but for anything heavy I redirect the traffic to my main computer, which wakes up as needed.
tamarok

Postby teslas_moustache » December 29th, 2012, 2:15 am

There must be something cool to do. I guess I could control things from my main computer. Light switches, maybe the tv, a Roomba.
teslas_moustache

Postby Drake » January 15th, 2013, 12:40 pm

I deal with SSH on a daily basis. Multiple times I have found myself sshed from A to B. From B to C. From C to D. From D to B. From B to A. and from A to D in that order. Eventually I realized tht I was looping around and spammed exit until I was back out. Somewhere along the line I thought of the matrix ...
Drake

Postby UAirLtd » January 15th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Drake wrote:I deal with SSH on a daily basis. Multiple times I have found myself sshed from A to B. From B to C. From C to D. From D to B. From B to A. and from A to D in that order. Eventually I realized tht I was looping around and spammed exit until I was back out. Somewhere along the line I thought of the matrix ...

Have you every played the game Uplink? I imagine that's what it's like in real life.
UAirLtd

Postby ChalkBored » January 16th, 2013, 6:45 pm

UAirLtd wrote:Have you every played the game Uplink? I imagine that's what it's like in real life.

You might like Telehack.
If you've got time to kill:

telnet telehack.com

Or just go to the website and play it through the java applet.

It was better a few years ago before they started adding captchas and cpu limits to stop botters, but it's still pretty good.
ChalkBored

Postby leadacid » January 17th, 2013, 12:32 pm

I find this discussion interesting, as I thought everyone already knew you could do this! :-)

Theoretically, so long as the system has the resources to support the connection (ram, network, etc.) you can have an unlimited number of SSH sessions connected. Jumping from one system to another is quite common. Looping, not so much, but still happens, and again, no real limitations.

I distinctly remember a time I was maintaining a network of switches for a foundry, all separated by miles of fiber optics. In this particular setup, there were 5 switches and I needed to talk to the one at the point furthest from me, but I couldn't be bothered to go all the way over there. Because of the particular VLAN setup on the switches, I couldn't directly connect from where I was to that furthest one, so I simply started hopping from switch to switch through SSH and Telnet connections until I got there. (In reality, the switches VLAN settings should have been configured to allow direct connection by a management VLAN, but at the time, no luck)

As for useful things to do, [tamarok] pointed out a good one. Put the embedded device as an edge device on a non-standard SSH port on your network and use that as a bridge into the rest of your network.
leadacid

Postby Drake » January 17th, 2013, 2:46 pm

Or security. Sometimes you dont want devices to have internet access or other devices to have access to it. So you have one device that has access to the other but the other doesnt have internet access. So you get to the other through the first.
Drake

Postby teslas_moustache » January 20th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Ha. Telehack looks like fun.

I can see how this would be useful for security. Or convenience.
teslas_moustache

Postby danielr » February 14th, 2013, 8:43 am

if the ability to shh to a box.
and then run an shh client on that box to get somewhere else has you excited.

port forwarding is going to blow your mind.
danielr

Return to General Talk