hi i am new and i want to start hacking

Description of your first forum.

hi i am new and i want to start hacking

Postby Arms22 » November 5th, 2012, 2:01 pm

i want to start hacking, but the problem is i dont really know where to start.
what should i study first?
by the way i know nothing
Arms22

Re: hi i am new and i want to start hacking

Postby semicolo » November 5th, 2012, 8:30 pm

There's a lot to hacking, if you're interested into electronics you can pick a soldering iron and learn how to solder/desolder.
semicolo

Postby Osgeld » November 5th, 2012, 8:36 pm

pick an interest within the subject (of hacking)

start reading, you will know very quickly if your choice is something you want to continue, if not start back at (1)
Osgeld

Postby Terramoto » November 8th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Hey, i hope you dont mind me using your thread to ask if there's a website that i can use to check for components (stepper motors, capacitors, resistors) on specific tools like printers, scanners, DVD Players, etc...
Terramoto

Postby k-ww » November 8th, 2012, 5:59 pm

Arms22:

First, decide what interests you more - software [programming] or hardware.

If software, there are many free programs for PC's to learn a language on.

If hardware, there are on-line cources, or you can just find something simple, take it apart and try to understand what it does. Radio Shack and others sell kits to put simple circuits together also.

Terramoto:

Try: http://www.findchips.com
type in the part number, and if it not propriatery, it will list who sells the part - from their websites you can often find links to a part's spec sheet.

Otherwise, type it into google and see what pops up.

Good Hunting!
k-ww

Postby Terramoto » November 9th, 2012, 7:46 am

k-ww wrote:Terramoto:

Try: http://www.findchips.com
type in the part number, and if it not propriatery, it will list who sells the part - from their websites you can often find links to a part's spec sheet.

Otherwise, type it into google and see what pops up.

Good Hunting!

Thank you! Going to check that out!
Terramoto

Postby slipfriction » November 15th, 2012, 6:59 am

I love questions like these!

First of all, hacking can mean a lot of different things depending on who you ask. The average person would say its breaking into secured computer systems, a "nerd" might say breaking something apart to see how it works and modifying it to do something it was not intended to do.

For electronics, why not look at the many hacks found here on hackaday and try to re-create and possibly improve on them. Start at a very low level and work your way up. I started out programming in c, then assembler (some people might think that's backward). I used that knowledge to help me learn C for pic microcontrollers, specifically the 16f84a. I then went on to programming various arm controllers and fpga's. That eventually lead to learning linux which gave me access to higher level libraries opening a much wider world. That then lead onto hacking a gp2x with my own custom image and the list goes on!

If you are interested in software "hacking", I would start by exploring the metasploit framework. There are loads of resources to help you learn how it works, the upside is the openness of each module and you can even write your own. Backtrack will give you an idea of what is available as widely known hacks as they bundle most of the mainstream tools for pentesters, white and blackhat alike.

Good luck on your journey!
slipfriction

Postby flink » November 29th, 2012, 6:48 am

Arms22 wrote:i want to start hacking, but the problem is i dont really know where to start.
what should i study first?
by the way i know nothing

I'm assuming that you want to know about old school hacking and not cracking.

It would be good for you to go by instructables.com and check some of the many project areas. Do some reading there on projects that catch your eye. They have quite a number of really good projects. Once you have an idea for an area that you are interested in, google for "basic" information on the subject. You can find tons of information that's not of much use if you don't have the fundamental knowledge to safely use it.

It's not an overnight process. Just keep in mind that hacking isn't a destination, it's following a path with complete with dead-ends and even side streets that might entice you towards a different direction. But it's all good. Even the dead ends help you learn. I've been tinkering for over 50 years. Electricity, electronics, TV/radio repair, ham radio, guns, computers, programming, CAD, microcontrollers, robotics, lasers, cabinetry, metal working, wood turning, 3d printing....

Just start walking. You may never reach the end, but getting there ins darned interesting.

There are plenty of on-line sources of information, but don't ignore your local public library, either. A book is a handy tool that you can take anywhere.
flink

Return to General Talk