2.5V 2600F Maxwell Ultracapacitors

Got some old equipment to sell? sell it here!
Please, don't try to do anything illegal. It is a pain in our butts having to police this.

2.5V 2600F Maxwell Ultracapacitors

Postby burkleypatterson » May 31st, 2012, 8:21 pm

Hi all,
I've got six 2.5V, 2600F maxwell ultracaps up for grabs. I bought these as surplus in a lot of twelve and have a few more than I need. I had them posted on ebay for about $30 each, but I'm not greedy- just trying to relieve my wallet a bit! If they go to a good cause, I'd be glad to consider offers!
burkleypatterson

Re: 2.5V 2600F Maxwell Ultracapacitors

Postby semicolo » June 1st, 2012, 7:11 am

two thousand and six hundred farads???
How big are those caps?
semicolo

Postby burkleypatterson » June 1st, 2012, 8:22 am

Yeah, 2600F! I didn't believe it at first either. My first thought was "rail gun!!!" Since then they've inspired countless ideas for future projects. You could get incredible regenerative braking efficiency on an electric bike by supplementing or replacing a battery with these.

My E&M professor had an anecdote about how seasoned electrical engineers would ask the rookies to head into the stock room to get a 1F capacitor and quietly laugh at them as they confusedly circled the smart car-sized block. We've come a long way from those!

I've got high hopes that this technology will eventually surpass and replace standard chemical batteries. Imagine charging up your electric car in minutes!

These capacitors are only about seven inches long and are pretty light. I tried to attach the datasheet but it seems that .pdf documents aren't allowed. Here's a google docs link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wALtEyEAmNQTz7g-BcxNxe1f_27Eig2xj5hzyYOvY7k/edit?pli=1
burkleypatterson

Postby semicolo » June 1st, 2012, 12:55 pm

Man! These could work so well for a bunch of applications.
Charging them must be another story though... Needs around 20A to charge in 5 minutes if my calculations are good.
semicolo

Postby burkleypatterson » June 1st, 2012, 1:18 pm

Yeah, charging can be an issue depending on how you go about it.
My favored approach a simple charging circuit with a lead acid battery tended in parallel with some other dc power source. Most lead acid cells can discharge several hundred amps, so your charge time drops to seconds. Of course this is limited to the energy stored in the batteries, so you have a finite number of uses until you need to fall back on the standard power supply.
I imagine a quadrocopter with an on board ultracap flying itself to a dock for a quick charge and taking off again.
burkleypatterson

Postby CMiYC » July 19th, 2012, 9:59 pm

Supercaps have a lifecycle count associated with them. You said you bought them surplus. Do you know if they were used previously?
CMiYC

Postby burkleypatterson » July 20th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Yes, they were used in a laser lab at my university for high intensity pulsed discharges. The experiment finished and all the fancy equipment was repurposed but the electronics were handed off to the surplus program. As I understand, they were only partially discharged each pulse so they still have long lives ahead of them!
burkleypatterson

Postby flink » August 2nd, 2012, 4:48 am

I understand that they are also used in electric vehicles, so there should also be unused ones around.
flink

Postby CMiYC » August 2nd, 2012, 6:11 pm

flink wrote:I understand that they are also used in electric vehicles, so there should also be unused ones around.

No, they generally aren't. "Traditional" power film capacitors are used in electric vehicle drive systems.
Last edited by CMiYC on August 2nd, 2012, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CMiYC

Postby burkleypatterson » August 2nd, 2012, 6:22 pm

CMiYC wrote:
burkleypatterson wrote:Yes, they were used in a laser lab at my university for high intensity pulsed discharges. The experiment finished and all the fancy equipment was repurposed but the electronics were handed off to the surplus program. As I understand, they were only partially discharged each pulse so they still have long lives ahead of them!

No, they generally aren't. "Traditional" power film capacitors are used in electric vehicle drive systems.

I can't speak to what these are generally used for, but they were used in a laser lab. I work in the lab next to the one that used these. We often improvise equipment out of commercial products. Another lab in the same group uses a tattoo removal laser in lieu of the newports or verdis the rest of us use.
burkleypatterson

Next

Return to classifieds