Thermal Printer interface

Request a hack or modification here:

So, you need a new wheelchair control for your nephew, someone here can figure it it. Maybe you want ambient lighting for your car to match the music, we've probably got someone here who does that.

No illegal "hacking" requests allowed and we are not responsible for the activities of the users. If you make an arrangement with another user, it is between the two of you.

Thermal Printer interface

Postby victorf » March 7th, 2011, 3:50 pm

I would like to have a small thermal printer attached to my latest project. The
project requires a printed output. I have acquired a number of NIB HP82240B
"Redeye" printers that are perfect for the job, save for the fact that they can only be
interfaced via a somewhat arcane infra-red protocol devised by HP in the '60s.

I confess that I am not capable of designing a serial (or other protocol) to HPIR interface even
though the the protocol is fairly well documented. I have plenty of documentation
that I have gleaned over the years.

Is there someone out there who is interested in giving this interface a whack? I
will provide all my documentation as my contribution. I can be reached here or
directly at the email address encoded in my signature.

Vic

Vic Fraenckel
KC2GUI
windswaytoo ATSIGN gmail DOT com
victorf

Re: Thermal Printer interface

Postby f8l_0e » March 7th, 2011, 4:36 pm

Can't say I have the skills needed to help directly, but may this will help get someone on board for you.

http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=4742
f8l_0e

Postby wireb » March 7th, 2011, 5:14 pm

I don't see anything in the documentation that would cause much heartburn. (32.9kHz carrier)

Bigger question right now is what is the output from your project look like (serial, I2C, parallel, analog ect)?

Also are you looking for any special formatting? Or will it just be sending one line at a time to get printed.

If your output is a reasonable rate serial connection a simple 8 pin PIC16Fxxx should handle it no problem on its internal osc. One IO for the serial input. One IO for the IR pulse train out. (need anything else in there?)

If you need help just drop me a line on this thread and I can see what I have on hand at home.
wireb

Postby victorf » March 8th, 2011, 5:09 am

caleb,

Thanks for responding to my post. As I mentioned in the post, I do not have the experience to develop such an interface. Ideally, I would like to be able to talk to the printer via a serial connection by sending strings of characters that my application will preformat for appropriate length. I have a printed user manual that I could send you along with a CD of all my accumulated documentation.

I am aware of the link sent by f8L_0e:
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=4742

and have, long ago, gleaned the applicable documentation.

Have you any interest in designing/building such an device?

On another note:
I visited you web site and noticed that you were working on projects related to CNC machining. What caught my eye was your work on quadrature encoders. It just so happens that I am also working on a project to interface two such encoders to an Arduino Mega. I have a shield design that I will most likely build to do the work. It consists of a Agilent HCTL-2032 Quadrature Decoder/Counter and an PCF8574 Remote 8bit I/O port expander along with connections for two quad-encoders. The board design is done and I will have a few made to see if I designed them correctly. I am working on a library to support this board. Would this project be of interest to you?

Vic

Vic Fraenckel
KC2GUI
windswaytoo ATSIGN gmail DOT com
victorf

Postby wireb » March 8th, 2011, 1:20 pm

I think I can get something working for you.

First a list of questions for you to fill out.
1.) What speed and protocol for the serial interface? (if you don't have a preference I would recommend 9600 baud 8N1. Somewhat standard and slow enough that most any device can do it)

2.) What voltage levels do you want to run on the interface? (3.3V ttl, 5V ttl, true RS232 levels (+/-12V), something else?)

3.) Do you have any PIC programing capabilities? (If not I can supply programmed parts in small quantities.)

4.) do you want a fully assembled solution (serial + power in one end IR out the other) or just design data (ie buy parts and build on your own)

5.) Where are you located at (Do you happen to be near Rochester, MN? Else can ship things just adds more cost)

Fees:
If you allow me to post the design of the converter part to my website and your using it for non-commercial use and WYSIWYG (no guarantee on usability or suitability) I would be willing to do the design part for a printer and a roll of paper (if you have a spare else open to what ever). Any prototype hardware you need me to build would be at parts cost + shipping. (if your local pickup is free) All other cases let me know what your plan is and we can negotiate :)

If that sounds good will do some digesting of the spec this weekend and come back with a updated plan (possibly code and hardware too depending on how things go). Once I get the initial stuff working will need a printer to verify it and tune the IR timings.

Let me know what you think.
wireb

Postby wireb » March 8th, 2011, 2:18 pm

Do you happen to have a link to a PDF of the normal user manual for that printer?

The character set encoding is missing from the technical interface guide and says to refer to the normal manual.

If not I can do some searching around the web.

Never mind found it
http://www.transnull.com/files/hp48/HP82240B_manual.pdf

Should have all the data on the printer I need.
Last edited by wireb on March 8th, 2011, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wireb

Postby wireb » March 8th, 2011, 2:26 pm

victorf wrote:caleb,
On another note:
I visited you web site and noticed that you were working on projects related to CNC machining. What caught my eye was your work on quadrature encoders. It just so happens that I am also working on a project to interface two such encoders to an Arduino Mega. I have a shield design that I will most likely build to do the work. It consists of a Agilent HCTL-2032 Quadrature Decoder/Counter and an PCF8574 Remote 8bit I/O port expander along with connections for two quad-encoders. The board design is done and I will have a few made to see if I designed them correctly. I am working on a library to support this board. Would this project be of interest to you?

Thanks for the offer but I am all set already. The converter I built was specific to the input hardware I had to interface to. The DRO software I am using is YADRO http://www.yadro.de/ written and designed by Nick Muller (sorry no fancy dots). Unfortunately I was not able to get in contact with him a few years ago and had to make a converter from Quad to 2*24 Scale protocol vs just updating his hardware interface firmware to take the quad data in. So unless your using the YADRO software package (or some other device that only understands 2*24 scale protocol in) that adapter is not much use:)

That said every so often I get Email about those converters (I also have another converter that takes 1*24 used on some of the cheap scales to 2*24) or Yadro issues in general.
wireb

Postby victorf » March 9th, 2011, 6:45 am

caleb,

I sent you an email to your wire2wire address with my responses to your questions and an attached schematic image. I forgot the attachment on the first send so I resent the email with the attached image.

I suggest that we discuss this off-forum and I have included my email address my email to you. I check my mail quite a few times a day.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Vic
victorf

Postby wireb » March 9th, 2011, 1:12 pm

Email sent from my home account. So if you don't see anything check your junk mail folder.
wireb

Postby wireb » April 2nd, 2011, 5:18 pm

Project finished. Full details and firmware located here:

http://www.wire2wire.org/HP82240B_adapt ... apter.html
wireb

Next

Return to Requests and commissions