Noob here: need help with a drum module.

Request a hack or modification here:

So, you need a new wheelchair control for your nephew, someone here can figure it it. Maybe you want ambient lighting for your car to match the music, we've probably got someone here who does that.

No illegal "hacking" requests allowed and we are not responsible for the activities of the users. If you make an arrangement with another user, it is between the two of you.

Noob here: need help with a drum module.

Postby Conrad55 » January 24th, 2012, 7:47 am

A bunch of us over at DmDrummer forum have the Alesis DM10 drum module.

This module has a ton of onboard sounds , and you can purchase and download a different sound set as well. (Blue Jay sound set)

The problem is the new sound set swaps all the internal sounds for the new ones.

A ton of us would like a hack to be able to load individual sounds into memory with out having to swap them all.

Example being able to load a new tom sound from the Blue Jay set and save it over the existing timbale, or triangle, or whatever, sound. The module will let us rename the sounds.

Now heres the rub, Alesis doesnt release how their sounds are encoded. The module does have a usb port.
Also I doubt anyone is willing to give up their module to be tinkered with, especially at a $600 replacement cost.

There has been a "control" program developed that allows you to change settings on the module from your computer, IE trigger settings etc.

That program can be found here.....http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2365.0
also within that forum you can find pictures of the module and specs, and manuals
Here http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?board=4.0

It would be awesome if someone here is up to the challenge. :D
Conrad55

Re: Noob here: need help with a drum module.

Postby st2000 » January 24th, 2012, 8:43 am

A bunch of us over at DmDrummer forum have the Alesis DM10 drum module.

Ouch, that's a lot of money.
Also I doubt anyone is willing to give up their module to be tinkered with, especially at a $600 replacement cost.

Yeah, that's why I said "ouch". BTW, $600 appears to be a good price as when I just googled $700 sounded more the norm.

Well, here's the problem. Most people here will help you with "re-purposing" electrical gear. And some will even help backward engineer gear that is no longer made (i.e. you have been left out in the cold cruel world, abandoned by a company that no longer values your patronage).

The 30K view is that DM wants to make money on both their "shaver" and "razor blades". So they probably have made it difficult to figure out what's going on. Everything from encoding the sound file to making the USB peripheral (that is the DM10 Module) as obfuscated as possible. I agree that mandating swapping out the entire sound file for another is short sighted of them. But I can see where this would be the easiest way to provide for field upgrades. And field upgrades for embedded systems is always a weak point in any device's life cycle (i.e. it is usually where they fail and have to be returned to the manufacturer).

I would approch DM and ask for custom mixes. Hey, you put down a wad of cash and deserved to be treated better. I've a feeling it would only be an investment in time for them to come up with a half dozen mixes for people to download who have bought both sets.

-good luck
st2000

Postby Conrad55 » January 24th, 2012, 8:59 am

Actually a representative for Alesis frequents the DmDrummer site, and we have created a list of wants for the module, hell we have begged for them for a few years now, with no results.

The closest thing we get from them is a brand new product called the DMDock which is basically all the drum trigger inputs docked to an Ipad. Its "supposed" to be compatible with most if not all drum software available
(BFD, Superior drummer, etc.) Great Idea but the app software (DMtouch?) isnt even available yet. (let alone the dock).

Also that means if this thing really works well, then my $700 module(the supposed flagship of Alesis) just became outdated.

AND I would have to go buy this dock (guessing around $300) plus buy as high end Ipad as I could get, because most drum files are freaking huge by nature (127 velocity levels per sound) maybe an USB hardrive to go with the pad?

And at that point I could buy a brand new laptop and just run VST programs through it. I just prefer the idea of being able to flick one switch, sit down and play. Not boot up computer, load software, load presets, etc etc.
Conrad55

Postby st2000 » January 25th, 2012, 9:12 am

Look, I don't mean to string you along. Putting aside the good or bad of hacking the drum module, I believe backwards engineering either the sound file or the drum machine will be a long drawn out process. Not actually owning one of these things makes it all the more difficult.

I am curious though. I quickly read up on the software that you linked to. It sounds like you can record, share and load up any number of different sounds. Even if it doesn't work with the purchased sounds, it appears to solve all your problems - given you have the resources to create all the sounds you would like. So, from what I read, the world's already your oyster, right?

Also, if you don't mind talking about it, what's so great about the DM10? I googled and found all sorts of drum machine project. From my point of view, it would be much easier to start over and create an open-source drum machine from scratch. Really. It's one of the reasons I am trying to talk you out of (what I think is) a difficult approach to get what you want.

Lastly, I looked at some of the VST programs. Wow! I am especially intrigued by Ardour which runs on Linux. I'm thinking you might be able to create a Live Linux CDROM that will boot most any computer up to running Ardour autonomously. Best of all, remove the CDROM and the computer will run as normal upon the next boot up. No matter what is on the HDD (i.e. WindowsXP, Vista, ect).

Last lastly, have you tried Hydrogen? I put in my drum score, memorized it and played it later during rehearsal. Practising with Hydrogen works for me (in our case, using something like Hydrogen during a performance is not practical at all).
st2000

Postby Conrad55 » January 25th, 2012, 10:16 am

The software I linked to just allows you the user to access the controls already existent on the module.

Gives the user a nice graphical interface to make changes quicker, and easier, than hitting several buttons, and scrolling through several screens on the module itself.

The module does allow you to record what you are playing, each individual hit. But not to load new sounds.

An open source drum machine would be great, I have no clue how to build one, nor do I have the money at this time. (or the time really) I chose the DM10 mainly for cost, plus it is a really decent drum brain for the money. Rolands flagship is easily 3x the cost.

No clue about Linux and Ardour. Again wouldnt know where to start.

Also I have never heard of Hydrogen, I will look into it.
Conrad55

Postby st2000 » January 25th, 2012, 5:22 pm

(The software linked to does) ... not to load new sounds.

Ha. I see, just control the unit and create "macros" to do a set of actions. I see. All the way to (it sounds like) recording a drum performance and playing it back.
An open source drum machine would be great, I have no clue how to build one, nor do I have the money at this time.

Knowing about building hardware will obviously be a prerequisite. That's the bad. The good is that I can't imagine it costing anywhere near what a DM10 would cost. Maybe because I don't know all the things a DM10 can do. The other good thing is, as with most opensource projects, is that the software could be (mostly) done by others (and/or by you if you figure out hit bits and pieces).
No clue about Linux and Ardour.

I picked Ardour because it is Linux centric. I have no idea how it stacks up with commercial or other open source efforts.
A Linux Live disk is a general term used to describe a CDROM or DVDROM which can be used to bring up a Linux system on most commonly configured Personal Computers. The part people have a hard time understanding about a Linux Live disk is that it does not matter what in running on the computer. It does not matter what software is on that computer's hard drive. And after running a Linux Live disk the computer is expected to be unchanged upon the next boot up after the CDROM or DVDROM is removed.
People usually make Linux Live disks because they don't want to install Linux but only take it for a test drive. The other reason people make Linux Live disks is to run a Linux application. See, you can configure the Linux Live disk to simply boot up a Personal Computer and run the Ardour application automatically (effortlessly).
Also I have never heard of Hydrogen, I will look into it.

http://www.hydrogen-music.org/hcms/
Hydrogen is Linux centric. So support is better for Linux. I see they have a stable release for Linux but only a snapshot of the newer unstable release for Windows. Hum, I also see where you can download "sound files"! Interesting!.
st2000

Postby anmol77 » April 19th, 2016, 8:44 pm

thanks for everything

Return to Requests and commissions