Commissioning someone to add IR sensor to USB Switch

Request a hack or modification here:

So, you need a new wheelchair control for your nephew, someone here can figure it it. Maybe you want ambient lighting for your car to match the music, we've probably got someone here who does that.

No illegal "hacking" requests allowed and we are not responsible for the activities of the users. If you make an arrangement with another user, it is between the two of you.

Commissioning someone to add IR sensor to USB Switch

Postby beerninja » September 17th, 2011, 10:01 am

I've been all over the internet and the only USB switch with build in IR sensor seems to be a discontinued Gefen big and bulky KVM switch that now goes for more than $375.

I'm looking for a price quote for someone to add an IR sensor to any 4 port USB Switch such as this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F1U200V-4-Port-USB-Switch/dp/B000EJUCVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316267092&sr=8-1

I have one wireless keyboard and 3 devices that need it (360, PS3, Wii, maybe future HTPC). I don't want to get up off the couch to change the input.

Would really appreciate a quote for this job. Preferably from a member with some references.

Thanks!
beerninja

Re: Commissioning someone to add IR sensor to USB Switch

Postby UAirLtd » September 17th, 2011, 9:55 pm

That sounds like a pretty cool project, are you absolutely sure that a switch like this will work fine with your 360/PS3/Wii?

If you're sure, we'll do it for just the cost of parts: $25 for the electronics, plus the cost of the USB switch, and shipping from the UK to wherever you are (typically $12 international). I'm not sure how neat we can make it, depends on how much room is inside.

However, we would like to fully document the project and release any designs and source code for the project as open source (3-clause BSD) so that others can follow and recreate it.

We are a company that designs and sell microcontroller products for hobbyists, in particular 32-bit ARM microcontroller development boards, and quadcopters. Website: http://www.universalair.co.uk/
UAirLtd

Postby beerninja » September 18th, 2011, 12:49 pm

Thanks for the reply! I'm sure it will work since all the consoles allow hot swapping of USB peripherals while powered on. The IR sensor would need to accept some kind of universal code that I can put into my harmony remote (i.e. pretty much any known code from any remote control ever made). I'm only concerned about functionality so neatness is not important but I would prefer it to remain powered via USB and not require an additional power supply. Battery power would be ok if necessary.

I really appreciate the generous offer and of course you can document and release the project however you wish. I will send you a PM shortly.
beerninja

Postby UAirLtd » September 29th, 2011, 12:20 pm

UAirLtd

Return to Requests and commissions