Wii U wired controller mod | Please help!

Request a hack or modification here:

So, you need a new wheelchair control for your nephew, someone here can figure it it. Maybe you want ambient lighting for your car to match the music, we've probably got someone here who does that.

No illegal "hacking" requests allowed and we are not responsible for the activities of the users. If you make an arrangement with another user, it is between the two of you.

Wii U wired controller mod | Please help!

Postby jopl12 » November 29th, 2012, 5:59 pm

As per my older thread here (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2468) I'm looking for someone to perform a mod on a Wii U GamePad in order for it to send data via a wire only and not via wireless communication.

I believe that this mod would mean removing the wireless capability of the device, adding in some sort of different port (unless the two on the GamePad mentioned below would somehow suffice), doing some work on the circuitry, and then plugging it in to the console's USB ports.

The Wii U itself contains USB ports, although the GamePad does not have a dedicated mini-USB port and instead has a port that is designed to draw power only and not transmit data, I believe (though I am not sure, you can see a picture here, notice the top right http://0.tqn.com/d/nintendo/1/0/q/6/-/- ... e_cord.JPG). There is also a port on the bottom of the controller designed to transmit data which you can see here (http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamel ... ii_041.jpg).

You can see a teardown of the controller here (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo ... wn/11796/3), and other users in my previous thread have made suggestions as to how this mod could be achieved, with one member suggesting that "pulling out the WiFi antenna lines to a coax line down into a shielded box would work best", though there may be other ways.

I'm not really proficient in this area, so that's all the information I can provide, but if anyone here would be able to help I would be very grateful. Send me a PM and we can discuss details! I'm willing to pay a healthy amount and cover postage costs/etc to anyone willing to help out. Cheers!
jopl12

Re: Wii U wired controller mod | Please help!

Postby jopl12 » January 6th, 2013, 7:26 pm

Would anyone be able to help with this? It would be much appreciated!
jopl12

Postby MartinsElectronics » January 8th, 2013, 7:35 pm

An interesting project, however if there is no hardware places on the pcbs to add wired control its one big job that would take a large amount of time. I myself have done many mods on consoles and gadgets over the years, both personal and commercial but I think this would cost too much for a one off sorry to say. A cheaper solution to prevent it going flat etc is to get a power adaptor for the controller, ok its still using wireless to talk to the console, but it will have cost you only a few pounds

Regards
Alex
MartinsElectronics

Postby jopl12 » January 12th, 2013, 5:40 pm

MartinsElectronics wrote:An interesting project, however if there is no hardware places on the pcbs to add wired control its one big job that would take a large amount of time. I myself have done many mods on consoles and gadgets over the years, both personal and commercial but I think this would cost too much for a one off sorry to say. A cheaper solution to prevent it going flat etc is to get a power adaptor for the controller, ok its still using wireless to talk to the console, but it will have cost you only a few pounds

Regards
Alex

Thanks for your response Alex.

Is there a possibility that you can discern from those teardowns linked in the original post as to whether or not the controller does have pcbs to add wired control?

If not, I'm sad to hear that this would be too costly as a one off! Do you have any idea how much we'd be talking here? I really, really would love to have this modification done, so I'm willing to pay quite a bit.

Cheers.
jopl12

Postby Dans34 » January 13th, 2013, 2:48 am

look at page 2 step 9/10 & page 3 stage 22

it looks like the wireless modules just have a slot on the boards , i wonder if sniffing the data on those pins and correctly connecting them would get the OP what he wants

(note : i have no idea what i am on about , please take above suggestion with a pinch of salt)
Dans34

Postby MartinsElectronics » January 15th, 2013, 10:37 am

Would need to taker one apart and look at the signals in/out etc, then take it from there, might be able to do a simple cable connection or it might be that there needs to be some work done on the data before it can be stuck back in etc. so in short without having one to mess around with, its not possible to tell.

cost well there is likely to be a good 2/3 days work on it, so would easily be able to buy another console for that lol

regards
MartinsElectronics

Postby Federillo67 » April 10th, 2013, 2:40 am

Hi.
Had you success in connecting wii u gamepad to console by cable ?
I am interested in that too.

Thanks in advance.
Federillo67

Return to Requests and commissions