Tacoma - Entune replace w Nexus 7 - camera/controls mod

Request a hack or modification here:

So, you need a new wheelchair control for your nephew, someone here can figure it it. Maybe you want ambient lighting for your car to match the music, we've probably got someone here who does that.

No illegal "hacking" requests allowed and we are not responsible for the activities of the users. If you make an arrangement with another user, it is between the two of you.

Tacoma - Entune replace w Nexus 7 - camera/controls mod

Postby wi11iamedward » November 12th, 2012, 9:19 pm

I want to install a Nexus 7 into my dash to replace the stock Entune system, mainly to save money on annual service costs. But also just because I loath the Entune system as a whole.

I have found local companies that will do the dash mod but no one has offered a solution that would get my backup camera and steering wheel audio controls to work with the N7 unit. I don't want extra wires or controls hanging about, and I do want to reuse buttons if I possibly can.

There would be 8 buttons available for programming/rewiring to control things with the N7 unit. And there is a backup camera located in the tailgate that I need to make work before I can make the full conversion. Currently, the Entune system will display the camera on screen when the vehicle is in reverse; I would much rather this be on demand by opening an app than trying to rebuild functionality like Entune forces.

Thoughts?
Last edited by wi11iamedward on November 12th, 2012, 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wi11iamedward
 
Posts: 8
Joined: November 12th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Re: Tacoma backup camera mod

Postby AWill » November 12th, 2012, 10:40 pm

Are you having a software or hardware interfacing issue?
AWill
 
Posts: 6
Joined: November 9th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Re: Tacoma backup camera mod

Postby wi11iamedward » November 12th, 2012, 11:00 pm

AWill wrote:Are you having a software or hardware interfacing issue?


Both really. I'm not sure what software is needed to make the backup camera work. And I'm not sure what hardware modifications are needed to allow the N7 dock pick up and interface as needed.

I've updated the original post to give a bit more detail.
wi11iamedward
 
Posts: 8
Joined: November 12th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Re: Tacoma - Entune replace w Nexus 7 - camera/controls mod

Postby AWill » November 13th, 2012, 10:10 am

there are a few ways to do it. One is to use all external devices and not touch the insides of the Nexus. You can also remove the back cover and do some wiring to the necessary components. I suppose it depends on the direction you want to go. Here is a site reference about a similar project and some solutions. My personal opinion is that replacing the rear cam to a wifi cam with a wifi camera app may be the simplest, less intrusive way.

Here is the links:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google ... amera.html

This one suggests a hardware extension cable from inside
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1970803

Here are some apps you could try if you wanted to go with an IP cam on the rear.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q= ... tor&c=apps
AWill
 
Posts: 6
Joined: November 9th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Re: Tacoma - Entune replace w Nexus 7 - camera/controls mod

Postby wi11iamedward » November 13th, 2012, 10:40 am

AWill wrote:there are a few ways to do it. One is to use all external devices and not touch the insides of the Nexus. You can also remove the back cover and do some wiring to the necessary components. I suppose it depends on the direction you want to go. Here is a site reference about a similar project and some solutions. My personal opinion is that replacing the rear cam to a wifi cam with a wifi camera app may be the simplest, less intrusive way.

Here is the links:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google ... amera.html

This one suggests a hardware extension cable from inside
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1970803

Here are some apps you could try if you wanted to go with an IP cam on the rear.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q= ... tor&c=apps



That's great information to go through. I believe the option I want to aim at will be a wireless option. If that's true then I'd need to find a IPcam that would either fit in the current camera's housing (preferred) or fit elsewhere on the vehicle, like the trailer hitch.

All of the rest of the install looks fairly straight forward.
wi11iamedward
 
Posts: 8
Joined: November 12th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Re: Tacoma - Entune replace w Nexus 7 - camera/controls mod

Postby wi11iamedward » November 13th, 2012, 5:44 pm

wi11iamedward wrote:I want to install a Nexus 7 into my dash to replace the stock Entune system, mainly to save money on annual service costs. But also just because I loath the Entune system as a whole.

I have found local companies that will do the dash mod but no one has offered a solution that would get my backup camera and steering wheel audio controls to work with the N7 unit. I don't want extra wires or controls hanging about, and I do want to reuse buttons if I possibly can.

There would be 8 buttons available for programming/rewiring to control things with the N7 unit. And there is a backup camera located in the tailgate that I need to make work before I can make the full conversion. Currently, the Entune system will display the camera on screen when the vehicle is in reverse; I would much rather this be on demand by opening an app than trying to rebuild functionality like Entune forces.

Thoughts?



Addendum:

1. Can you modify a camera unit (in this case a Toyota backup camera) with an arduino setup so it can be used as an IP camera?
wi11iamedward
 
Posts: 8
Joined: November 12th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Re: Tacoma - Entune replace w Nexus 7 - camera/controls mod

Postby wi11iamedward » November 13th, 2012, 7:53 pm

AWill wrote:there are a few ways to do it. One is to use all external devices and not touch the insides of the Nexus. You can also remove the back cover and do some wiring to the necessary components. I suppose it depends on the direction you want to go. Here is a site reference about a similar project and some solutions. My personal opinion is that replacing the rear cam to a wifi cam with a wifi camera app may be the simplest, less intrusive way.

Here is the links:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google ... amera.html

This one suggests a hardware extension cable from inside
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1970803

Here are some apps you could try if you wanted to go with an IP cam on the rear.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q= ... tor&c=apps


I think I might have found a solution for the camera... however I can't seem to find a release date for it yet.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57 ... ssistance/
wi11iamedward
 
Posts: 8
Joined: November 12th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Re: Tacoma - Entune replace w Nexus 7 - camera/controls mod

Postby wi11iamedward » November 18th, 2012, 7:37 pm

I'm still looking for anyone that can help finalize this solution.

Can anyone direct me in a way to modify a backup camera (camera only) so that it can connect to a USB connection? Or Cat5?

Here's where I'm going with this... Nexus 7 -> miniUSB -> Cat5 -> USB -> Camera I thought this might be capable of carrying the power and signal for the length I need it. And I have seen others who have gotten USB webcams to work with the Nexus 7/miniUSB/Cat5 conversions, but I need to mod my existing backup camera to interface with this.

Thoughts?
wi11iamedward
 
Posts: 8
Joined: November 12th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Re: Tacoma - Entune replace w Nexus 7 - camera/controls mod

Postby Osgeld » November 18th, 2012, 8:57 pm

I am not sure you ever stated what your existing camera uses, most of what I have seen (not much) is 12v and composite signal, you cant interface it without knowing what it is, and nor can we really help.
User avatar
Osgeld
 
Posts: 675
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 6:16 pm

Re: Tacoma - Entune replace w Nexus 7 - camera/controls mod

Postby wi11iamedward » November 18th, 2012, 9:20 pm

Osgeld wrote:I am not sure you ever stated what your existing camera uses, most of what I have seen (not much) is 12v and composite signal, you cant interface it without knowing what it is, and nor can we really help.


Thats easy enough to alleviate.

This is he same camera and connection view in my tailgate. The only difference is that in the headunit it connects to the Entune system, not the rear idea mirror.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-ge ... acoma.html



And here is he part being interfaced with found on eBay.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0947797904

Thanks and let me know if I can clarify anything more.
wi11iamedward
 
Posts: 8
Joined: November 12th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Next

Return to Requests and commissions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest